- Eight-part series is an international co-production by Viaplay and New Zealand broadcaster TVNZ
- ‘Straight Forward’ created by award-winning New Zealand writer John Banas
- MTG presenting full original production slate at MIPCOM on 16-19 October
Set against the visually stunning backdrops of Queenstown and Copenhagen, ‘Straight Forward’ blends an entertaining crime caper story with a moving journey of personal discovery, as a Danish woman attempts to leave her criminal past behind her and make a fresh start in a small New Zealand town.
The series is created by award-winning writer John Banas (‘Blue Heelers’; ‘City Homicide’; ‘All Saints’) together with Banijay production companies Screentime New Zealand and Mastiff Denmark. ‘Straight Forward’ is co-produced by Viaplay and TVNZ in association with Acorn Media Enterprises and Acorn TV. Acorn Media Enterprises will hold rights for North America, UK and Australia.
Jakob Mejlhede, MTG EVP and Head of Programming and Content Development: “As a truly global content market, MIPCOM is the ideal venue to announce this multi-national drama that showcases incredible storytelling talent from two continents. MTG’s recent announcements prove we can create unique stories and sell them around the world, and our momentum just keeps accelerating – success breeds success.”
MTG original productions acquired for global distribution include:
- Documentary film ‘Superswede’ (IM Global Television)
- Drama series ‘Veni Vidi Vici’ (DRG). The show will premiere on premium US streaming service Hulu in December 2017
- Drama series ‘Black Lake’ (BBC Four and AMC Networks-backed Shudder)
- Comedy drama series ‘Swedish Dicks’ (Lionsgate). Season one of the show is currently airing successfully on Pop TV in the US.
MTG’s full slate of original productions will be presented at MIPCOM, which is taking place on 16-19 October in Cannes, France.
MTG has over 50 original scripted drama projects in the pipeline, and recent original premieres include geopolitical thriller ‘Occupied’; Nordic noir ‘Hassel’; and kids series ‘Peppy Pals’. MTG has recently commissioned political thrillers ‘Conspiracy of Silence’ and ‘Embassy Down’; dramas ‘ALEX’ and ‘The Lawyer’; the second season of LA based comedy drama ‘Swedish Dicks’; and its first Icelandic original ‘Stella Blómkvist’.
NOTES TO EDITORS
MTG Studios’ content production and distribution activities are part of MTG, a leading international digital entertainment group. We are shaping the future of entertainment by connecting consumers with the content that they love in as many ways as possible. Our brands span TV, radio and next generation entertainment experiences in esports, digital video networks and online gaming. Born in Sweden, our shares are listed on Nasdaq Stockholm (‘MTGA’ and ‘MTGB’).
firstname.lastname@example.org (or Tobias Gyhlénius, Head of Public Relations; +46 73 699 27 09)
Download high-resolution photos: Flickr